Skip to main content

Love overcomes


This weekend, our suburban community joined the unwilling ranks of towns directly impacted by hate crimes.  On the way to church Sunday morning, I had to tell my eleven-year-old boys about a shooting at a nearby synagogue the day before where one woman was killed and several were injured.  Where young children had to run and hide. 

One of my boys simply said “why would someone do that?”  Why indeed? Sadly, since the dawn of man, we have been fighting wars, killing other humans - over power, religion, land and money.  Over our differences.  And still, I can’t begin to fathom what could put the kind of hate on someone’s heart that makes them pick up a weapon and attempt to kill another human. 

Here is what I do know – Love can overcome hate.  And understanding can breed love. 

There’s an internet meme that goes something like this “A Pastor, a Rabbi and an Atheist walk into a bar...And they break bread and share stories of their day and trials of their lives end of story.”  Because guess what – we all have differences and similarities, and that doesn’t have to make us hate one another. 

As a child, I lived in a rather homogenous community.  But in my church confirmation class, one requirement was to attend a service and speak with leaders in another Christian church and with leaders of a non-Christian religious group.  Our church also did an annual Kristallnacht remembrance service and a Seder meal with our local Synagogue.  These opportunities served as a chance to learn from one another, to mourn and celebrate together, and to provide respectful understanding of what makes us different AND the same.  No one at these opportunities was trying to convince us to “take their side.” No one was trying to tell us our way was “wrong.” We were learning together, breaking bread together and sharing our stories.

A few weeks ago during their sacrament lessons, my boys had an opportunity of their own to experience a Seder meal, and learn about the story of Passover.  That gave me an opportunity to talk to a Jewish friend of ours, the dad of one of the boy’s baseball buddies, and learn a little more about what Passover means to his family, how they celebrate it (it’s his favorite holiday), talk about Easter for our family, and share some stories with one another.  And then a few days later, here’s an actual text between us after my friend shared some pictures of his family’s Seder:

Him:  “As we celebrate Passover, it made me think of the Seder you had at your church.  Perhaps the boys can relate even more knowing it’s happening right now with Jews all around the world including their buddy.  Good Friday to you and the family and an early Happy Easter”


Me:  “Amazing! The boys love seeing the real thing.  Happy Passover to all your family!  Love how connected we all are.”

Love can overcome hate.  And understanding can breed love. 

Too much religion for you?  I can make this same connection with sports.  Captain Chaos has proclaimed himself “the Padres biggest fan.” True story.  He has done at least one speech and written tons of poetry about that in class.  His best buddy is a Dodgers fan.  I’m a Green Bay Packer fan from first breath, I have friends who – gasp – are Vikings or Bears fans.  Insert your own favorite sports team.  But in Captain Chaos’s case, the Padres have not had an amazing season in the first 10 years of his life.  Yet he still cheers down to the final inning of the final game of the regular season (I’m saying “regular season” with the hopes that one day he will see “post season” Padres).  And head to head, he would always pick the Padres over the Dodgers. 

But last year, the Dodgers finished in 1st Place in the NL West, with the Padres trickling in 25.5 games back, last place in the Division.  On paper, that could breed some pretty negative feelings for Captain Chaos.  Instead, he poured all of his baseball enthusiasm into cheering the Dodgers through the post-season, shedding many tears of his own when they fell short.  He could have thrown his hat in with the Brewers, or even the (gasp) Red Sox, but looked at me and said “My best friend is a Dodger fan, and I want him to be happy, so I will cheer for the Dodgers.” 

Aside:  this season the Dodgers and the Padres have been trading off the top spot in the division, so we’ve adopted a “no baseball rivalry talk” rule in the afternoon carpools which is also an ok technique when necessary. 

We’re not asking these boys to switch allegiances, but what they do HAVE in common is their great love of baseball. 

Love can overcome hate.  And understanding can breed love. 

It’s no secret to my family and friends that Captain Chaos has a significant learning disability, along with speech disorder and disfluency (stuttering).  There would have been another time in our history where his “scores” would have institutionalized him, or worse.  There are still places in our world where this occurs.  Even as I write that, I have such strong emotions about what that world must have looked like. 

Fortunately for us, and much of the disabled community, there were pioneers who said “Let me learn more.  Let me understand more about YOU.  Let me see all the ways we are the same, and all the ways our differences can enrich our world.” 

There are still many people who, perhaps out of ignorance, will treat my son and others badly because of a disability.  So for my part, I tell his story to anyone who needs to hear it.  When we were on spring break, I was speaking to a retired doctor who asked me what I do for a living.  I explained that I am the primary caregiver and advocate for my son with intellectual disabilities.  His initial reaction was to ask “What’s his IQ?  I mean, will he at least be able to work at McDonalds one day?”  I replied “If that’s what he wants, but at this point, he’s aiming for the broadcast booth for the Padres.”  And then, I took this opportunity to explain that “in our day and age”, there are so many ways to learn, and so many ways to measure success and aptitude.  I’d like to hope that this man floated away from our conversation with a level of understanding and respect for people with disabilities that he hadn’t had initially. 

Love can overcome hate.  And understanding can breed love. 

When I have to have talks with my boys about hate crimes and violence around the world, I have no answers. But I can speak love to my sons, to my family and friends.  And when we encounter someone different, we can learn from one another, break bread, share stories. 

And understanding can breed love.

And Love can overcome hate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a two year old little airplane now

Later on, I'll do a little retrospective on getting out with twins earlier in their life, but for now, I've got an upcoming trip with two-year olds and I'm procrastinating.  What better time to launch the 1st blog post.  I'm not lying when I say that our travels up to now have been pretty 'easy' (well, there was the one trip last summer when, after arriving at our destination, I told my husband that he was going to have to buy me a car so I could drive back 3000 miles to California as that would be easier than traveling alone with these screaming mad men who had once been my babies).  But I have mixed feelings of confidence and anxiety over this trip.  So I'll tell you all more about how this goes once we actually take the trip, but for now, here is how I'm prepping. Daily, we're singing "I'm a little airplane now" (if you don't know this, you're just not watching enough Sesame Street) and running around the backyard with ou

A letter to my son's incredible friends

The fact that I am writing a post with this title is still somewhat amazing to me.  And while it has been a really long time since I've posted, I've had this topic on my mind for so long and I finally needed to get pen to paper, so to speak. First things first, a little catch-up since my post nearly 3 years ago (here:   http://twinlittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/2014/01/which-of-these-things-is-not-like-other.html ) Right toward the end of 1st grade, a whole lot of things happened really fast, including Baby A's Gen Ed teacher looping to 2nd grade, Baby B making huge academic and language strides with a lot of one on one aide support (but no GenEd kids acknowledging him at his school's field day) and Baby B's SpEd teacher calling me with these shocking words "I think he is ready for inclusion with resource support".  After hyperventilating, talking to all the people who could guide and support our decision, and a lot of prayerful consideration, we decided t