Skip to main content

I'm a two year old little airplane now

Later on, I'll do a little retrospective on getting out with twins earlier in their life, but for now, I've got an upcoming trip with two-year olds and I'm procrastinating.  What better time to launch the 1st blog post. 

I'm not lying when I say that our travels up to now have been pretty 'easy' (well, there was the one trip last summer when, after arriving at our destination, I told my husband that he was going to have to buy me a car so I could drive back 3000 miles to California as that would be easier than traveling alone with these screaming mad men who had once been my babies).  But I have mixed feelings of confidence and anxiety over this trip.  So I'll tell you all more about how this goes once we actually take the trip, but for now, here is how I'm prepping.
  • Daily, we're singing "I'm a little airplane now" (if you don't know this, you're just not watching enough Sesame Street) and running around the backyard with our arms in wing-formation.
  • Every evening, we take turns (Ok, real turn-taking is a bit illusive with twin toddlers, but I try.) playing airplane on Mommy's knees.  Tonight's efforts turned into a mommy and boys snuggle war after just one flight each.  Hey - if it ends up with tons of giggling on the floor, I don't care if you call it "eh-pane" or dinosaur, I'll take it.
  • Backpack practice - both boys have been carrying around their Elmo and Thomas backpacks.  They prefer to do this when only dressed in a diaper, which is probably not going to fly on this trip, but I'm hopeful that for the 1st time in our travels, they'll be ready to carry some of their own weight.
  • Mommy has been downloading many books to her Kindle.  This is wishful thinking, as I have very little confidence that there will be any simultaneous napping on this flight (we're checking the carseats so that the passengers in front of us don't get a kick-massage).
  • Stockpiling Southwest drink coupons (for mommy and daddy or those around us...time will tell)
So with our departure in about 60 hour I have not begun to organizer or pack.  But I figure that part can't be too hard, right?  It's going to be 90 degrees for two weeks at our destination...all we need is some diapers and sunscreen.  And sippy cups, and toys, and Stinkys, and crayons, and snacks, and a camera, and .......

Comments

  1. Great idea to stockpile Southwest coupons for the people around you! How come the people I see with kids never do that? Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I will be interested to see how it goes. We will be making a trip west later this summer, and I have begun organizing in my head what I need to bring and get ready. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you already know, I am a huge fan of checklists. Just this morning I said something to hubby along the lines of, "Wait until you see the checklist I'll be using to prep for travel with baby in the fall." The response was an eyeroll - but I figure the only way I will get through flights to and from Texas with a 3 to 4 week old, and then again when she's 2 1/2 months, not to mention flights to and from Hawaii with a 3 1/2 month old (hopefully) is to be uber prepared...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my son's incredible friends

The fact that I am writing a post with this title is still somewhat amazing to me.  And while it has been a really long time since I've posted, I've had this topic on my mind for so long and I finally needed to get pen to paper, so to speak. First things first, a little catch-up since my post nearly 3 years ago (here:   http://twinlittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/2014/01/which-of-these-things-is-not-like-other.html ) Right toward the end of 1st grade, a whole lot of things happened really fast, including Baby A's Gen Ed teacher looping to 2nd grade, Baby B making huge academic and language strides with a lot of one on one aide support (but no GenEd kids acknowledging him at his school's field day) and Baby B's SpEd teacher calling me with these shocking words "I think he is ready for inclusion with resource support".  After hyperventilating, talking to all the people who could guide and support our decision, and a lot of prayerful consideration, we decided t

Love overcomes

This weekend, our suburban community joined the unwilling ranks of towns directly impacted by hate crimes.   On the way to church Sunday morning, I had to tell my eleven-year-old boys about a shooting at a nearby synagogue the day before where one woman was killed and several were injured.   Where young children had to run and hide.   One of my boys simply said “why would someone do that?”   Why indeed? Sadly, since the dawn of man, we have been fighting wars, killing other humans - over power, religion, land and money.   Over our differences.   And still, I can’t begin to fathom what could put the kind of hate on someone’s heart that makes them pick up a weapon and attempt to kill another human.   Here is what I do know – Love can overcome hate.   And understanding can breed love.   There’s an internet meme that goes something like this “A Pastor, a Rabbi and an Atheist walk into a bar...And they break bread and share stories of their day and trials of t