Skip to main content

on Elf Shaming and other holiday thoughts...

The boys are now 6 1/2 years old (!?) and we are having an absolutely magical year.  Their brains are exploding with knowledge, growth, and sassy-pants back-talk.  Yesterday, I read an article that referred to "pre-tweens", an age that apparently starts at 8 years old.  Are you kidding me?!  Right now, I have these perfect little boys that I want to trap at this age.  In one day, they will act tough and 'big kid' in one breath, and then ask to snuggle and watch Disney Junior in the next.

The world is coming alive for them.  For years, at the holidays, family vacations, Sunday Football games, etc, we have forced the fun onto them. But now they are living it.  They understand and remember the traditions.  They have expectations and excitement.  Now, when Larry & I want to watch Football games on Sundays (All. Day. Long.) they want to watch with us.

And this year, for months, they've been talking about Christmas.  In fact, Baby B, with his special brain, loves to sequence the year for us.  For most of the year, he just does 'and next?' for each holiday.  Not Christmas.  Nope, when we get to Christmas, he describes in great detail everything we do - decorations, shopping, parties, family, Smark, presents, Santa, and this year, we've added a little Baby Jesus.

Not going to lie, like most 6 year old boys, they're most focused on the presents under their own tree (and in the Christmas "socks" that Baby B lovingly arranges and rearranges every day).  But they have been talking about the decorations and the traditions a TON.  This matters to them.  They remember what we've done in the past.  And woven through our discussions have also been fascinating discussions about the world.  About traditions, cultures and beliefs that are different than ours, about people who are not as fortunate as we have been, about how the world used to be before computers, iPhones and Minecraft.

But they are 6.  And they have plenty of time to grow up and be anxious about the future, and cynical about the world.  For now, they get to still experience some of the magic and mystery and fun.  And so...every night after they fall asleep, our two Elves do their thing, return to the North Pole, blah blah blah, and return to our house before morning in a new spot in the house.


Our Elves, Smark and Mystery, sometimes bring little gifts (which are usually one of two things: 1. all those little things that accumulate in the 'surprise room' throughout the year or 2. a way I can sneak new Christmas decorations into the house without *anyone* getting mad at me).

Sometimes they engage in some shenanigans, and sometimes they just move to a new spot in the house.  This year, possibly because of Pinterest and my desire to someday end up on a Pinterest Fails site, I've been somewhat organized, and slightly more elaborate, in my plans for the Elves.  I even sketched out a calendar for the month.  But I built in some 'freebie' nights (which kinda means just move the elves across the room, but really means "something so easy Larry can do it").  And along with talking to the boys about cultures, the world etc, we have added some new elements to the visits.  If there are shenanigans (of the elfin or children variety), there are consequences.  The Elves are also encouraging the boys to do good deeds in our community.  And be kind to others.  And what we believe to be the true meaning of Christmas.  And all that stuff.

And I've been sharing the antics of Smark & Mystery because I have a lot of friends who are in the midst of their life with their Elf, or have littler ones and are contemplating jumping into the abyss (jump!), and we all like seeing what all the elves of the world are up to (in fact, my boys heard about one elf who was flying on an airplane like a WWII bomber, and I caught Baby A telling Smark all about it!).  I hope a few people see our pictures and think "cool!" or "no way!" or "I can do that!"  And maybe there will even be a few adults-only posts like last year...



But I know that there are those out there who aren't into the Elf, which I can totally respect.  Just like I'm not into ranting about politics and other major divisive issues (other than football - Go Pack, Go!).   For those of you not into the Elf, don't do it.  Skip over my photos and those of your other friends.  Don't give in to the pressure.  Because if it's not magical to you, it certainly won't be to your kids.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy our Elf on the Shelf for as long as my boys stay little (and I hope that is a very long time), and maybe even longer.  I hope that the magic of Christmas, and of Smark and Mystery remain with them for many years.  Each year, when we decorate our tree and I pull out the big box of wooden ornaments I painted with my Papa as a little girl, I tell the boys all about the many magical days I spent in Papa's basement listening to him tell me stories, paint the ornaments and sneak me gumdrops.  I hope that one day, my boys tell their kids the story of how each year, our magical elves visited our home, hung underpants on our tree, delivered Christmas Pajamas, and added special memories to our holidays.

Fa La La, People.  Just Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a two year old little airplane now

Later on, I'll do a little retrospective on getting out with twins earlier in their life, but for now, I've got an upcoming trip with two-year olds and I'm procrastinating.  What better time to launch the 1st blog post.  I'm not lying when I say that our travels up to now have been pretty 'easy' (well, there was the one trip last summer when, after arriving at our destination, I told my husband that he was going to have to buy me a car so I could drive back 3000 miles to California as that would be easier than traveling alone with these screaming mad men who had once been my babies).  But I have mixed feelings of confidence and anxiety over this trip.  So I'll tell you all more about how this goes once we actually take the trip, but for now, here is how I'm prepping. Daily, we're singing "I'm a little airplane now" (if you don't know this, you're just not watching enough Sesame Street) and running around the backyard with ou

A letter to my son's incredible friends

The fact that I am writing a post with this title is still somewhat amazing to me.  And while it has been a really long time since I've posted, I've had this topic on my mind for so long and I finally needed to get pen to paper, so to speak. First things first, a little catch-up since my post nearly 3 years ago (here:   http://twinlittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/2014/01/which-of-these-things-is-not-like-other.html ) Right toward the end of 1st grade, a whole lot of things happened really fast, including Baby A's Gen Ed teacher looping to 2nd grade, Baby B making huge academic and language strides with a lot of one on one aide support (but no GenEd kids acknowledging him at his school's field day) and Baby B's SpEd teacher calling me with these shocking words "I think he is ready for inclusion with resource support".  After hyperventilating, talking to all the people who could guide and support our decision, and a lot of prayerful consideration, we decided t

Love overcomes

This weekend, our suburban community joined the unwilling ranks of towns directly impacted by hate crimes.   On the way to church Sunday morning, I had to tell my eleven-year-old boys about a shooting at a nearby synagogue the day before where one woman was killed and several were injured.   Where young children had to run and hide.   One of my boys simply said “why would someone do that?”   Why indeed? Sadly, since the dawn of man, we have been fighting wars, killing other humans - over power, religion, land and money.   Over our differences.   And still, I can’t begin to fathom what could put the kind of hate on someone’s heart that makes them pick up a weapon and attempt to kill another human.   Here is what I do know – Love can overcome hate.   And understanding can breed love.   There’s an internet meme that goes something like this “A Pastor, a Rabbi and an Atheist walk into a bar...And they break bread and share stories of their day and trials of t