Skip to main content

the Soccer Mom Crockpot Experience - Week 1 Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches

So Baby A has started playing fall soccer, which means a practice one evening a week, during CPA Daddy's fall busy season.  So since it's the only night Daddy is home for a real meal, I felt I should attempt to prepare a real meal....mostly.  Enter my first venture into crockpot cooking.

Having never used our crockpot for more than keeping queso warm on football Sundays, I have asked my social network for suggestions, and my family will be voting for the winner at the end of soccer season.  Since I am not a 'professional blogger', I am probably not linking to original posts properly, but needed a spot to share the recipes where my participating friends can find them.  Apologies to the original creators.

Criteria for our selection of Crock Pot Recipe Champion will be:

1. Ability to throw together in 15 minutes or less.

2. Use of Ingredients on hand vs trips to store(s).

3. How good does the house smell during the day.

4. Do we like it? (including my pickiest child, the CPA Daddy)

5. Does it make the 'right' amount of leftovers.

6. Make it again?

So without further blah blah blah...Week One

 

Week 1 - Buffalo Chicken


I have spent much of the early fall craving Buffalo sauce on EVERYTHING, so even if this sucked, I was planning to just suck up the sauce.  Luckily for us, it didn't suck. It may have been a little too out of the box for the boys, although not too spicy once they finally got it past their lips.  CPA Daddy and I liked it a lot.

For the kids, I served it as a 'salad' (they are weird but will eat about anything if I make it into a salad) - chopped up iceberg lettuce, the chicken, shredded cheddar cheese and ranch dressing.  For the grown-ups, we did lettuce wraps - chicken, blue cheese crumbles and blue cheese dressing.  I think it'd also be great as a sandwich or in a tortilla (but most of our dinners end up in a tortilla, so we wanted something a little different).  Here's the recipe I used:

Six Sisters Stuff Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sandwich recipe

So really, I should have included a picture or something, but to be honest, rarely is crockpot food so pretty that it should be photographed.  And I was racing out the door to soccer practice, splitting half the food  to bring to my neighbor and hoping that my son would kick the ball to the correct goal (first practice), so pictures of food were the last of my thoughts.

Rating:

1. threw it together in about 3 minutes - 5 out of 5

2.  Ingredients on hand - due to my Buffalo craving, I have about 10 bottles of Franks in the pantry, so we give this an A

3.  Smell - Meh.  Not bad, not good, but that's what you get for doing a recipe with no onions and garlic

4.  I liked it, CPA Daddy liked it.  Kids were too tired for a real vote, so maybe 3 stars

5.  Since we shared with the neighbor, there were no leftovers (other than the few bites I scooped up with some chips when I was cleaning up). 

6.  Would make it again, but I'm kinda over my Buffalo craving, so maybe in a few months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a two year old little airplane now

Later on, I'll do a little retrospective on getting out with twins earlier in their life, but for now, I've got an upcoming trip with two-year olds and I'm procrastinating.  What better time to launch the 1st blog post.  I'm not lying when I say that our travels up to now have been pretty 'easy' (well, there was the one trip last summer when, after arriving at our destination, I told my husband that he was going to have to buy me a car so I could drive back 3000 miles to California as that would be easier than traveling alone with these screaming mad men who had once been my babies).  But I have mixed feelings of confidence and anxiety over this trip.  So I'll tell you all more about how this goes once we actually take the trip, but for now, here is how I'm prepping. Daily, we're singing "I'm a little airplane now" (if you don't know this, you're just not watching enough Sesame Street) and running around the backyard with ou

A letter to my son's incredible friends

The fact that I am writing a post with this title is still somewhat amazing to me.  And while it has been a really long time since I've posted, I've had this topic on my mind for so long and I finally needed to get pen to paper, so to speak. First things first, a little catch-up since my post nearly 3 years ago (here:   http://twinlittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/2014/01/which-of-these-things-is-not-like-other.html ) Right toward the end of 1st grade, a whole lot of things happened really fast, including Baby A's Gen Ed teacher looping to 2nd grade, Baby B making huge academic and language strides with a lot of one on one aide support (but no GenEd kids acknowledging him at his school's field day) and Baby B's SpEd teacher calling me with these shocking words "I think he is ready for inclusion with resource support".  After hyperventilating, talking to all the people who could guide and support our decision, and a lot of prayerful consideration, we decided t

Love overcomes

This weekend, our suburban community joined the unwilling ranks of towns directly impacted by hate crimes.   On the way to church Sunday morning, I had to tell my eleven-year-old boys about a shooting at a nearby synagogue the day before where one woman was killed and several were injured.   Where young children had to run and hide.   One of my boys simply said “why would someone do that?”   Why indeed? Sadly, since the dawn of man, we have been fighting wars, killing other humans - over power, religion, land and money.   Over our differences.   And still, I can’t begin to fathom what could put the kind of hate on someone’s heart that makes them pick up a weapon and attempt to kill another human.   Here is what I do know – Love can overcome hate.   And understanding can breed love.   There’s an internet meme that goes something like this “A Pastor, a Rabbi and an Atheist walk into a bar...And they break bread and share stories of their day and trials of t