Skip to main content

Up in the Air with Mommy - traveling solo w/ 3yr old twins

I'm not going to lie.  Although our initial flight w/ Mommy and Dada went pretty well, I was still nervous about my solo flight with the boys.  After two weeks in the semi-wilderness, they were a little stir-crazy and we'd watched every single movie and Elmo show until our DVDs wore out (seriously).  I was pretty sure they would spend the 5+ travel hours climbing me, screaming and eating one another. 

I was (happily) SOOOOO wrong! 

My mom joined us at the airport and was able to get a gate pass to help us with security.  Frankly, I could maybe have made it through without her, but it's nice to have an extra adult til you board the plane.  I suspect that next time I fly solo, the airline will be less willing to give the gate pass, but I'll keep trying until both boys are able to say "Yes, Mr TSA officer, I am more than happy to submit to your unnecessary pat-down.  But I'm not totally potty trained, so smoosh at your own risk." 

On our short flight, the boys quietly watched Elmo on the iPad.  I had accidentally sent the headphone splicer back home a week earlier, so grabbed one at an airport giftshop.  Turns out the cheapo one from the airport worked much better.  Although they sat right next to one another, shockingly, no fights, no hitting, no biting.  This was shaping up much better than I thought.

We traveled w/ our double stroller, checking at the gate and retrieving for our layover.  Again, in a pinch, I could have done without, but I wanted the ability to do a complete lock-down on the layover if needed. 

We had a short layover in Kansas City - about 40 minutes - long enough for a quick potty break.  Honestly, not the most ideal airport for travel with kids.  If you want to access any concessions, or the family bathroom, you have to leave the secure area and then re-screen to get back to your gate. 

So without access to the family bathroom, we squeezed into line with all the other women in our multi-gate area to vie for one of the 3 stalls.  While waiting, I quick-changed Baby B's diaper and then got Baby A to start whining about having to go potty - which got us quickly to the front of the line. 

Now I have no magic formula or advice for what happened next.  On our long flight back to home, Baby A watched movies and played games on the iPad the whole way.  Baby B slept.  The Whole Three Hours (after a quick cream cheese and jelly sandwich).  When Baby B was a baby, he was a snuggler.  But for about a year or so, he has resisted the Mommy Snuggle, so I was thrilled to share my lap with him for this flight.  I got to read a book and even nap a bit.  He slept all the way to our home gate (the extra super nice flight attendant let me keep him on my lap through descent, touchdown and taxi as long as he was sleeping). 

One little note about air travel while potty training.   Your child-unless a perfect, never seen in nature child-will not like airplane potties and will only need to 'go' when the plane is in ascent, descent or heavy turbulence.  Baby A and I had a long chat (Me: "You may not be able to use the potty on the plane, so you're wearing a Pull-up."  He:  "ok".) about wearing a Pull-up which was fine for him.  I have heard of parents 'touring' the potty (including a flush) while boarding the plane.  This may or may not have helped us.  We were also not sure what to do w/ Baby B (who was of course sleeping in my arms).  We tried squeezing all 3 of us into the teeny tiny bathroom.  Awkward.

We'll be flying again around the holidays.  A better wife would let Dada take a separate flight since this went so well.  However, even with a little less perfectness, I'd rather take a second pair of hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a two year old little airplane now

Later on, I'll do a little retrospective on getting out with twins earlier in their life, but for now, I've got an upcoming trip with two-year olds and I'm procrastinating.  What better time to launch the 1st blog post.  I'm not lying when I say that our travels up to now have been pretty 'easy' (well, there was the one trip last summer when, after arriving at our destination, I told my husband that he was going to have to buy me a car so I could drive back 3000 miles to California as that would be easier than traveling alone with these screaming mad men who had once been my babies).  But I have mixed feelings of confidence and anxiety over this trip.  So I'll tell you all more about how this goes once we actually take the trip, but for now, here is how I'm prepping. Daily, we're singing "I'm a little airplane now" (if you don't know this, you're just not watching enough Sesame Street) and running around the backyard with ou

A letter to my son's incredible friends

The fact that I am writing a post with this title is still somewhat amazing to me.  And while it has been a really long time since I've posted, I've had this topic on my mind for so long and I finally needed to get pen to paper, so to speak. First things first, a little catch-up since my post nearly 3 years ago (here:   http://twinlittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/2014/01/which-of-these-things-is-not-like-other.html ) Right toward the end of 1st grade, a whole lot of things happened really fast, including Baby A's Gen Ed teacher looping to 2nd grade, Baby B making huge academic and language strides with a lot of one on one aide support (but no GenEd kids acknowledging him at his school's field day) and Baby B's SpEd teacher calling me with these shocking words "I think he is ready for inclusion with resource support".  After hyperventilating, talking to all the people who could guide and support our decision, and a lot of prayerful consideration, we decided t

Love overcomes

This weekend, our suburban community joined the unwilling ranks of towns directly impacted by hate crimes.   On the way to church Sunday morning, I had to tell my eleven-year-old boys about a shooting at a nearby synagogue the day before where one woman was killed and several were injured.   Where young children had to run and hide.   One of my boys simply said “why would someone do that?”   Why indeed? Sadly, since the dawn of man, we have been fighting wars, killing other humans - over power, religion, land and money.   Over our differences.   And still, I can’t begin to fathom what could put the kind of hate on someone’s heart that makes them pick up a weapon and attempt to kill another human.   Here is what I do know – Love can overcome hate.   And understanding can breed love.   There’s an internet meme that goes something like this “A Pastor, a Rabbi and an Atheist walk into a bar...And they break bread and share stories of their day and trials of t