Skip to main content

Terrible Twos Times Two Flight, or What went wrong last summer?

So last summer's flight to and from Wisconsin was pretty much a disaster (well, at least in Dada's words), and since we (he) vowed never to fly again, my words needed to take a while off before writing about being an expert at traveling with twins.  Here's what went wrong and how I think (hope) it should be fixed:

  • 3-1 seating.  We always have sat 3 in one row and Dada across the aisle.  This was fine when we had 1-2 kids in car seats and their legs were too short to do any damage.  No longer awesome - neither kid wanted to be with Mommy, both wanted to sit on Dada's lap.  Both spent a ton of time, especially during takeoff and landing, trying to climb across Mommy and the aisle to get to Dada who was sitting next two two business men on their way to a conference (their fault, not ours...it was open seating after all)  Wishful solution:  put the kids in the back of the plane and Mommy & Dada up front.  Probable solution:  each parent with one kid. 
  • Car seat.  We didn't bring a car seat on the way, but thought it would be better to have one on the return trip.  Nope.  Neither kid wanted to be strapped in (and by this time, they both knew it wasn't a requirement at their age).  When we did strap one in, their legs were now long enough to pretty much reach around the seat in front of them and put the little girl in a full headlock.  Now, to be honest, I kinda was glad that they tried that, because this mom and her two pre-teen daughters tried to cut in front of me in the Skycap line.  And she was snotty to my boys when they got on the plane.  Kick away, dear son.
  • Kicking - Ok, even without the car seat, there is just something interesting to little kids about their feet and the seat in front of them.  On the final leg of our trip, a dad with an equally spirited son of the same age said their trick is to put their son in the seat behind their daughter.  We'll try that next time.  Now we need to just figure out which son deserves to be kicked more...
  • Movies - neither kid wanted to wear their headphones, so we just unplugged them and kept the sound on quietly.  But we brought new movies which was a mistake.  Maybe with bigger kids, a new movie is fun and exciting.  My boys thrive on familiarity (we watch Cars pretty much every day, once watching it four times in one day).  I'd suggest bringing a couple old and new just in case.
Here's what did work:
  • On the flight out, one of the flight attendants was a mom of twins and quite sympathetic and helpful.  You can't pick the flight crew, but you can usually spot a 'friend'.  Since you're boarding early (and you should!), take a little time to be kind to the crew. 
  • Same flight attendant brought us a couple plastic cups and a trash bag at the beginning of the flight.  The cups were great for entertainment (amazing what a cup can do with a little creativity and a couple two-year olds).  The trash bag allowed us to maintain some level of sanity in our row, and made it a quicker picker upper at the end of our flight.  We had at least 10 packs of those little Styrofoam yogurt puffs, many of which didn't make the mouths, so the trash bag was a huge help (also kept the wandering monkeys from eating the dropped puffs off the ick floor).
  • One CEO of the Trip - I'm a planner, so the logistics have been hashed out in my head every which way from Sunday for months before the trip.  My husband hops in the car and goes to the airport, hoping I've packed his carry on bag with his headphones.  But typically, once we've gotten to the airport, he challenges, I mean 'questions', every action.  So for this trip, I ran through the 'plan' about a week before the trip, giving him that opportunity to troubleshoot or opine.  But then the rule was on Game Day, he had to follow the plan (and by extension, me) without challenge.  He could only suggest changes if Plans A-E failed or after the trip.  This worked much better for everyone. Of course, I'm the one writing about it, so he would probably say "control freak."  To some extent that is correct, but hey...it takes some control to manage twin toddlers and their parent.
Other random thoughts from that trip:
  • We can't really get from San Diego to Wisconsin on a direct flight, but sometimes we can get a flight with one stop, no plane change.  I'm undecided on this.  If I can get a layover just slightly over an hour, I think I'd prefer that so we can get out, get a snack and get some wigglies out.  Sometimes without the plane change, you can get off the plane, sometimes not.
  • At two years old, it's still pretty tough to find age-appropriate food in the airports.  We still did BYO everything under the sun (well mostly those yogurt puffs), just buying some water and juice once we cleared security.  Don't quote me, since every security counter is a bit different, but we were able to bring a couple sippy cups of milk from home, and were able to bring a small frozen ice pack in our insulated lunch bag.
We grounded the family last winter and will be making another attempt soon.  I'll be trying some new things with my three-year olds and hopefully all of us make it to our destination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a two year old little airplane now

Later on, I'll do a little retrospective on getting out with twins earlier in their life, but for now, I've got an upcoming trip with two-year olds and I'm procrastinating.  What better time to launch the 1st blog post.  I'm not lying when I say that our travels up to now have been pretty 'easy' (well, there was the one trip last summer when, after arriving at our destination, I told my husband that he was going to have to buy me a car so I could drive back 3000 miles to California as that would be easier than traveling alone with these screaming mad men who had once been my babies).  But I have mixed feelings of confidence and anxiety over this trip.  So I'll tell you all more about how this goes once we actually take the trip, but for now, here is how I'm prepping. Daily, we're singing "I'm a little airplane now" (if you don't know this, you're just not watching enough Sesame Street) and running around the backyard with ou

A letter to my son's incredible friends

The fact that I am writing a post with this title is still somewhat amazing to me.  And while it has been a really long time since I've posted, I've had this topic on my mind for so long and I finally needed to get pen to paper, so to speak. First things first, a little catch-up since my post nearly 3 years ago (here:   http://twinlittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/2014/01/which-of-these-things-is-not-like-other.html ) Right toward the end of 1st grade, a whole lot of things happened really fast, including Baby A's Gen Ed teacher looping to 2nd grade, Baby B making huge academic and language strides with a lot of one on one aide support (but no GenEd kids acknowledging him at his school's field day) and Baby B's SpEd teacher calling me with these shocking words "I think he is ready for inclusion with resource support".  After hyperventilating, talking to all the people who could guide and support our decision, and a lot of prayerful consideration, we decided t

Love overcomes

This weekend, our suburban community joined the unwilling ranks of towns directly impacted by hate crimes.   On the way to church Sunday morning, I had to tell my eleven-year-old boys about a shooting at a nearby synagogue the day before where one woman was killed and several were injured.   Where young children had to run and hide.   One of my boys simply said “why would someone do that?”   Why indeed? Sadly, since the dawn of man, we have been fighting wars, killing other humans - over power, religion, land and money.   Over our differences.   And still, I can’t begin to fathom what could put the kind of hate on someone’s heart that makes them pick up a weapon and attempt to kill another human.   Here is what I do know – Love can overcome hate.   And understanding can breed love.   There’s an internet meme that goes something like this “A Pastor, a Rabbi and an Atheist walk into a bar...And they break bread and share stories of their day and trials of t